Saturday, June 19, 2010

Throwing big words into regular conversation.

Last night my friend and I continued our True Blood, Season 2 marathon. During one scene in which Bill Compton, the 200-year-old Southern gentleman vampire, is fighting with his maker he uses the word, "nihilism." I was so impressed by this! I love it when people throw words like that into normal conversation. My vocabulary isn't so advanced that I can do this very often. I try to learn new words, but it takes awhile to know them well enough to use them in regular sentences. I guess if you're 2 centuries old, you are probably more likely to have words such as "nihilism" in your vocabulary arsenal than those of us who grew up in the last 50 years. The English language has become more and more dull with each passing generation, but hopefully we word-lovers will keep it from becoming totally one-dimensional. So, come on, everybody, let's each try to use some sort of unexpected word in conversation today. Just make sure you actually know what it means first!

1 comment:

  1. use of the word nihilism + smoking jacket = attractive

    ReplyDelete